Name: Habineza Antoine
Nationality or Ethnicity: Rwandan
Where do you live?: Kigali, Rwanda
Languages: Kinyarwanda (native), Swahili , French, Russian, English, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Lingala, Luganda, Zulu, Bambara, Greek, Japanese, Korean, Turkish, Hebrew ,Arabic, Amharic .
1. What’s your story? How did you get into all these languages?
I started to learn foreign languages in my childhood and my father and relatives were my inspiration and when I heard them speaking French or another language which is not my Mother tongue Kinyarwanda, like Russian it was like a very fantastic melody in my mind. Since then I started to be very interested in languages until today because it is so melodic in my mind.
2. Which language(s) do you wish you could spend more time practising?
Greek, Turkish, Hebrew, Arabic, Korean and Amharic .
3. What are some languages you’d like to learn in the future?
Swedish, Xhosa and Tigrinya.
4. So let’s be honest, what’s the sexiest language?
5. What’s the greatest pleasure you get from speaking so many languages?
Enjoying life with people around the world through multilingualism.
6. Some people say the world is really just going to have a few languages left in a 100 years, do you think this is really true?
Yes, because some languages especially in Africa are under threat of extinction owing to the declining number of native speakers of these minority languages.
7. What is your message to young (and not so young) people out there who are interested in studying multiple languages?
They should not give up even though learning some languages can be difficult for them because the more they try the more they become successful in learning multiple languages.