Name: Nicholas Johnson
Nationality or Ethnicity: Australia
Where do you live?: Brisbane, Australia
Languages: English, Latin, Classical Greek, Modern Greek, Spanish
1. What’s your story? How did you get into all these languages?
I learned Classical Greek and Latin as a teenager, and picked up Spanish through practicing with some friends and self-study. I learned Modern Greek at language classes at a university.
2. Which language(s) do you wish you could spend more time practising?
Modern Greek for sure.
3. What are some languages you’d like to learn in the future?
Mandarin, Hindi, German, French, Japanese and Korean.
4. So let’s be honest, what’s the sexiest language?
5. What’s the greatest pleasure you get from speaking so many languages?
The ability to think and express ideas in different ways, understood by different cultures.
6. Some people say the world is really just going to have a few languages left in a 100 years, do you think this is really true?
No, I don’t think so. There will likely be a few languages which are widely understood, as today, but I think there will always easily be more than a “few” (3-5) mother tongues. More likely to be in the hundreds.
7. What is your message to young (and not so young) people out there who are interested in studying multiple languages?
Learning languages is exciting and rewarding. It also becomes easier after the first language, as your brain becomes accustomed to the learning process.