Name: Patrick Lencastre Pessanha
Nationality or Ethnicity: Brazilian
Where do you live?: Rio de Janeiro
Languages: Portuguese, English, Spanish, French, German, Russian, Hebrew, Polish, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Czech, Serbian.
1. What’s your story? How did you get into all these languages?
I’ve been using EN, PT and ES since I was a child as a result of my mom’s plan.
At the age of 18 I started to work with tourists in events such as the Olympic Games and French came in. I worked in Portugal in a German company and I used the language 24/7 for some time.
I’ve learned Russian and Ukrainian from my old time friend from Kyiv and so on…
Nowadays I run my own language school.
2. Which language(s) do you wish you could spend more time practising?
All the Slavic Languages.
3. What are some languages you’d like to learn in the future?
The rest of the Slavic family.
4. So let’s be honest, what’s the sexiest language?
5. What’s the greatest pleasure you get from speaking so many languages?
Languages are just tools. People are the goal.
6. Some people say the world is really just going to have a few languages left in a 100 years, do you think this is really true?
No. We will never speak the same language. The cultural differences will always provide us different languages.
7. What is your message to young (and not so young) people out there who are interested in studying multiple languages?
Be patient, consistent and do something useful with your languages.